Sunday, December 14, 2008

From Heather

Here we are already, the final leg of the school. It has truly flown by. We leave Tuesday for our extended outreach, and return Sunday the 21st. Then we have one day in Pemba (I’m NOT looking forward to saying bye to my kids again L) , then we head home the 23rd! I hope we’re not too jetlagged arriving Christmas Eve, cause I’m so looking forward to Christmas with my family!! It’s weird being displaced from all the hussle and bussle of the Christmas season and sales and shopping. I don’t mind being away from all the materialism that comes along with the holiday. The kids here at Iris just had their Christmas party today, and Mama Heidi visited each kid to individually give them their presents. They all seemed so overjoyed; it means so much to them to get hand-picked gifts from their mom.
So for our outreach I’m SUPER excited…on our weekend outreaches, as I sat in church Sunday morning, I couldn’t help but notice that over 50% of the church was filled with kids. And they joined in for worship, but wandered out, playing with each other during the rest of the service. We had the privilege of doing children’s ministry the day before, but how often do they really get poured into? On a weekly basis where they can be discipled and brought up with a solid foundation in Christ…who is doing this in the villages that we do outreach in? Raising up the next generation? And then we find out that we get to do that for our 6-day outreach! We get to take the “village feeding program” outline that Iris does here in Pemba to these 2 villages. We’ll give resources to the leaders in the church to continue a kids ministry in their village. God totally answered my prayer!
I remember being home the past year and a half, remembering and picturing Pemba and the kids faces, and now I’m here, smelling it, living it. And in just a couple weeks it’ll just be a memory again. I’ll be closing my eyes and picturing Reina and Tiago and Namuna, the beach and my house and my roommates. I’m so thankful for this experience. In a few words, I feel like I’m taking away from these 2 months… a much needed growth in being a leader. God’s stretched me and encouraged me in leading others, particularly in this missions setting. He’s spoken to me more about the dreams and passions in my heart- particularly in seeing sex trafficking ended, and the kids rescued from forced prostitution given hope and restoration. He’s blessed me with being able to continue the relationships I started with kids 2 years ago, and I really have a love for them. I get so proud when Tiago sings a special song in front of church; I envision Amade going to university or becoming a minister; when Reina told me she was getting married my heart leapt! We’re not sure when or if God will let us come back to Pemba, but I’d sure love to at least visit again and keep the contact.
One thing I’ll end with is something that Heidi preaches often but so incredibly real that it just hits your heart and doesn’t let you continue living life as you know it. She was preaching on the Beatitudes. She calls it Jesus’ self-portrait. We’ve never thought of it like that before, but just read it in Matthew 5. He was the one who made himself poor and meek as he came to earth …think about the King of Kings on His throne in heaven choosing to become a baby…breastfeeding, crawling, learning to talk and walk. How much more humble could it have been? He learned a trade, worked a modest job and taught in places He was often not even welcomed at. He calls us to go “lower still.” Not to pursue our own successes and fame, but to find the true blessings that are found in humility. In staying hungry for Him, in desiring a pure heart more than a booming ministry. Do we show mercy, work for peace, rejoice in persecution? Do I even know what persecution really looks like? Heidi shared a story of a pastor in Mozambique – the cousin of Pastor Supresa, an International Director of Iris. He was serving God with his family in their local church and one day some men from another faith came in screaming and threatening him. They said they would silence the church. The pastor boldly stated, “Nothing can silence the church that loves.” He refused to renounce Jesus, and allowed his own blood to be shed so that God’s kingdom would not be silenced. That village soon saw thousands come to the Lord, and even 2 of his murderers repented and now serve God. This is the persecuted church – the martyr’s that are receiving their highest reward in heaven. Am I willing to follow Jesus no matter the cost? Is His name worth more than my very life? Whether it’s in an African village or a 9-5 job in America, what does it look like to be persecuted for His names’ sake, so that the kingdom of heaven will be brought here on earth? I encourage you to read through the Beatitudes and see what God would say to you about it for your own life.
With that I will end and look forward to seeing you in just a couple weeks!! Enjoy Christmas, and please keep us in your prayers during our outreach!

1 comment:

Brian Jones said...

Heather.....you guys are blessing me sooooo much. It is awesome to see what the Lord has been teaching you. He has been teaching me much of the same stuff that you were sharing about. Can't wait to talk to you guys when you get in the states. Maybe we can Skype in the new year!!!!
Blessings,
Brian Jones