Sunday, December 7, 2008

some thoughts from the mind of heather...

I’ve seen the whole starving African children scene so many times, been to Pemba, cried for them before…but I’m so thankful that God keeps it real for me. He doesn’t just let it be a scene for me. This week I helped at the village feeding program again, helped quiet rambunctious kids, and pass out plate after plate of rice and beans. For some kids, it may be the only meal they eat that day.
This time after the kids were served, I walked around the corner to collect the dirty plates and I was just captured by what was going on. I was just drawn to them, to watch them and meet them, to love on them. They all looked so beautiful to me. I noted how every child sat in a group of about 3 to 6 or so, and they all shared; some put their food together and ate out of the same plate. The culture of the poor is so opposite to our individualized Western culture.
The most humbling thing happened to me during this time. I was kneeling down with different groups of kids, asking them their names and such. I noticed a group of 4 young ones, maybe 3 years old, sitting together sharing a plate of food. I squatted down and smiled, simply wanting to bring them company and put names to the face of another “poor village child.” But then, one by one, each precious, hungry child – out of their own instinct, their natural reaction to someone joining them – scooped up a handful of food and placed it in my hand. I was taken aback and simply said, “Cushukuru” (thank you in Makua). They pointed to the rice, then to their mouths, giving me an indication to eat it. I took one bite, then the tears welled up, broke through the gates of my eyelids, and rolled down my proud ‘Akuhna’ cheeks (‘Akuhna’ is white person in Makua – and is generally yelled at the missions school students by just about every village kid).
When Jesus says to have faith like a child, this is precisely what He means. Who do I think I am, coming here to hand out plates to these poor orphans in my good missionary way? They know what it means to give when they have nothing to give, to give without questioning and preconceived judgments. They taught me what it means to share again. Simple as it sounds, our missions-minded, NGO plans and first world wisdom seemed so unnecessary when I saw the generosity of the poor spring forth so easily.
I wrestle with how to respond to the constant begging and endless needs – we surely can’t solve everyone’s problems everyday. By I finally am starting to really get what Heidi Baker preaches. After simply sitting down with the poor. Stop for the one in front of you – just stop and love them, help them. Love like Jesus did, with selfless love.
Truly, the poor in spirit are blessed, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3
We have so exalted ourselves, our own spirituality, honoring and preferring ourselves over others. We have forgotten that Jesus calls for an opposite spirit than the world – not climbing higher but lowering ourselves in humility, so that He may be lifted high.
I pray that God would bless you to be able to simply share with others, just as those tiny children did to me. They knew I had food, money, all I needed, yet their heart was to welcome me in like family. Oh, how I need faith like a child.
May you be brought ‘lower still’ as you seek God’s face. May He bless you with a spirit that is in constant need of Him. May you see His kingdom here on earth.

2 comments:

Missouri Mommy said...

What a powerful story of the children sharing with you. These are the experiences that the Lord uses to bolster our devotion to Him. We serve Him well as the first commandment takes first place in our lives. You have encouraged me today!!!!
In Christ,
Brian Jones

Kim Yoder said...

those children sound so sweet and precious! how incredible is that..for 3 year olds to show such sacrificial love to someone they just met! they seem to understand that verse about God taking care of the 'birds of the air' so much better than we do!

i'm so encouraged when I read about your experiences in Mozambique. you guys are such a blessing in so many lives, including mine :-)

love and prayers,
Kim